India has invented a new rule, its as clear as mud … as expected ! So far agents are telling people they need a ‘residency certificate’ . BUT no one is telling anyone how to get one, what it looks like or how you prove it.
Post in the comments if you have any actual information on this new rule to help others.
Circular No. 15 / 2013-Customs
F. No. 495/16/2012-Cus.VI
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Excise & Customs
Room No.253-A, North Block,
New Delhi, 8th April, 2013.
All Chief Commissioners of Customs,
All Chief Commissioners of Customs (Preventive),
All Chief Commissioners of C.Ex. , Customs & S.Tax.
All Director Generals.
Subject: Import of Pets under Baggage – reg.
1. Attention is invited to Board’s Circular No. 94/2002- Customs dated 23.12.2002 on the above cited subject wherein it was provided that import of pets upto two numbers per passenger may be allowed at one time subject to the production of the required health certificate the tao of badass from the country of origin and examination of the same by the concerned Quarantine officer.
2. Board has re-examined the present policy of import of two pets by passengers in view of representations received in this regard. Accordingly, it has been decided to allow import of two pet animals with the vacuum for pet hair baggage only to persons transferring their residence to India after two years of continuous stay abroad in terms of Baggage Rules 1998 subject to production of the required health certificate from the country of origin and examination of said pets by the concerned Quarantine Officer at this end. This new dispensation shall come into force with effect from 15th April 2013. Import of animals (pets) in general would continue to be governed by DGFT policy.
3. Board’s Circular No. 94/2002 – Customs dated 23.12.2002 stands modified accordingly to that extent.
4. These instructions may be brought to the notice of the trade/airlines/carriers by issuing suitable Trade / Public Notices. Suitable Standing orders/instructions may be issued for the guidance of the field officers.
5. Difficulties faced, if any, may be brought to the notice of the Board immediately.
I just found some more info on qualifying for residency transfer… ( http://mumbaicustoms3.gov.in/htmldocs/tr.htm )
Rules Regarding Transfer of Residence
|What is Transfer of Residence ?|
|Transfer of Residence (TR) is a facility provided to a person (either an Indian or a foreign passport holder, whether a minor or not and even a student) who intends to transfer his/her residence to India after a stay abroad of at least two years. This facility allows the person and his/her family to import personal and household articles free of duty and certain other listed items on payment of a concessional rate of duty.|
|What are the conditions of eligibility for availing Transfer of Residence ?|
|i) Minimum stay of two years abroad, immediately preceding the date of the passenger’s arrival on transfer of residence. Shortfall of up to 2 months in stay abroad can be condoned by Assistant Commissioner of Customs if the early return is on account of – (i) terminal leave or vacation being availed of by the passenger, or (ii) any other special circumstances.(ii) Total stay in India on short visits during the 2 preceding years should not exceed 6 months. Commissioner of Customs may condone short visits in excess of 6 months in deserving cases.(iii) Passenger or any member of his family have not availed this concession in the preceding three years.
(iv) The person claiming this benefit affirms by declaration that no other member of the family had availed, or would avail this benefit within the above time-period. The term “family” includes all persons in the same house and forming part of the same establishment.
|Note : Earlier there was a clause of minimum stay in India of 1 year after taking TR. This has since been abolished|